The F-16 Block 70
With the F-16 still one of the most prolific Western Fighter Jets in service today, Lockheed Martin has not stood still when it comes to keeping this beautiful but deadly lady up-to-date with modern technologies.
Designed to operate to 2070 and beyond, the new Block 70 is built on the capabilities of the F-16V advanced configuration, and includes the following upgrades:
- Advanced APG-83 AESA radar
- Radar Mode improvements
- Upgraded Modular Mission Computer and avionics architecture
- Infrared Search and Track (IRST)
- Advanced datalink, targeting pod and weapons
- New cockpit displays and safety improvements
- New Digital Flight Control Computer with enhanced Autopilot/Auto Throttle
- Automatic Ground Collision Avoidance System (Auto GCAS)
- Digital Intercommunications System with 3-D Audio
- Precision GPS navigation
And here’s another video demonstrating the Block 72 version of the new F16V, but in a simulator, not real world. Still a really interesting video.
And I don’t know about you, but I’d love to have that simulator in my home! 🙂 It would make the DCS F16 Viper module look pretty sad! 🙂